26 Jul Harlow College Celebrates 60 Years
Harlow College is currently celebrating 60 years of delivering further and higher education to Harlow and the wider community.
The original college building was situated at the High, near Harlow Playhouse, and opened as The West Essex College of Further Education in late 1958.
In 1962 the college was renamed Harlow Technical College and in 1984, when the College became a tertiary college, the present name of Harlow College was established. The college moved to its current home at the former Netteswell School in 1996/97.
The College has had eight Principals in total – the first being Mr W. E. Collins, followed by Arthur Billington, Michael Shoefield, Sue Parker, David Ellerby, Colin Hindmarch, Elaine McMahon and Karen Spencer, the present incumbent.
There has been a Journalism Centre at the College since 1964 – officially the country’s oldest school of Journalism, whose famous alumni includes Piers Morgan, Richard Madeley and Sophy Ridge.