My Saved Shows
      You haven't saved any shows yet!

#Basildon: Four arrested during road safety operation

09 Sep #Basildon: Four arrested during road safety operation

Four people were arrested during a road policing operation in the Basildon area yesterday (Wednesday, September 7, 2016).

Officers from the Casualty Reduction Unit worked with colleagues from the Safer Essex Roads Partnership and HMRC to detect offenders using the roads and increase road safety.

Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) technology was used to identify suspect vehicles which were then intercepted and taken to stop-check sites at East Mayne and Great Oaks.
During the operation officers were called to reports of suspicious activity at Wickford Railway Station.
A 24-year-old man, a 17-year-old boy and a 15-year-old boy, all from London, were arrested on suspicion of going equipped for theft. All currently remain in custody for questioning.

A 27-year-old man from Bilston, West Midlands, was also arrested after officers stopped the vehicle in which he was travelling and discovered he was wanted by West Midlands Police in connection with public order offences.

He was also arrested on suspicion of driving otherwise than in accordance with the terms of his licence and taken into custody before being transferred to West Midlands Policed for questioning.

A number of driving offences were also detected during the operation.

Ninety people were found not to be wearing a seatbelt including three children whose carers had failed to ensure they were secured in the vehicles in which they were travelling.

A total of sixteen drivers were dealt with for using a mobile phone behind the wheel and three vehicles were seized because their drivers didn’t have appropriate insurance.

Twelve vehicles were found not to have valid MOTs and one was found to be in such a dangerous condition that the driver was prevented from continuing their journey.

One driver was issued with a vehicle defect rectification notice because the text on the number plate didn’t meet legal requirements. They were given a period of 14 days to resolve the problem or face prosecution, points on their licence and/or a fine.

Sgt Dave Rudd from the Casualty Reduction Unit said: “Yesterday’s operation produced some strong results however I am disappointed at the number of drivers who fail to fasten their own seatbelt and ensure their children are secured. Seatbelts exist for a reason. Please, please, please fasten your seatbelt. It takes a matter of seconds but could save your life or the life of one of your loved ones.”