01 Feb Nominations open for Harlow Civic Awards
Nominations for the Harlow Civic Awards, celebrating those who make the town a great place, are now open.
Every year Civic Awards are presented by the Chair of Harlow Council. This is the first year that nominations for these awards are open to the public – they were previously put forward by councillors.
The awards aim to recognise and celebrate individuals and organisations who make a huge difference to people’s lives. Whether it’s organising or volunteering at clubs, helping schools or elderly neighbours or providing social networks to reduce isolation and enable people to live independently, the council wants to hear from residents about the people they think make fantastic contributions and go the extra mile for our town.
The award categories are:
· Citizen of the Year
· Young Citizen of the Year (Up to the age of 18)
· Sports and Culture Award
Anyone can nominate a resident, group or organisation who has contributed to Harlow as long as they have:
· Achieved something particularly noteworthy for Harlow
· Improved the health and wellbeing of local residents
· Helped people improve their educational and vocational capability
· Done something which has made people feel safer or happier
· Made a physical improvement to Harlow’s environment
· Improved employment opportunities for residents.
· Improved the reputation of Harlow
Nominations run from now until 5pm on Friday 2 April 2021and can be made at www.harlow.gov.uk/community/council-events-and-award-nights/civic-awards
Winners will be invited to attend the Annual Council meeting in May 2021 to pick up their award from the Chair of the council, Councillor Maggie Hulcoop. However this year’s awards may need to be done virtually due to coronavirus restrictions.