20 Mar London Stansted gets set for record-breaking summer with major programme of recruitment and investment
London Stansted is recruiting hundreds of new staff and investing significantly in new facilities and service improvements as the airport gets set for another record-breaking summer season.
Last year, Stansted experienced its busiest ever summer, with 8.4 million passengers passing through its doors between June and August and 100,000 passengers passing through in one day at its peak. The airport is planning on introducing a succession of enhancements, both large and small, that will further improve the experience for passengers travelling through during the summer ’19 season.
- Recruitment of up to 200 new security officers and customer service ambassadors
- Recent opening of a new technology-led terminal control centre, ‘The Hub’, which will help ensure a smooth flow of passengers through the airport and enhance the airport’s ability to respond swiftly to any operational issues
- The introduction of more seating into the Departure Lounge, including a dedicated family seating area offering colourful children-friendly bench seating for groups travelling with younger children
- Construction of a new ‘quiet area’ space for passengers who wish to relax away from the main departure lounge
- Addition of new water fountains across the terminal and satellite buildings to help encourage wider use of re-useable bottles
- Introduction of additional in-terminal charging points for electronic devices
- Doubling the number of terminal cleaning staff to 100 and in-sourcing the service to enable the direct management of this essential element of the customer journey
- Upgrades to passenger wayfinding and help points, including new information desk airside
- Opening of a new 2,700 space multi-storey car park with additional blue badge spaces, and an increase in the price of the Express Set Down area to ensure its continued smooth running, reduce further instances of ‘kiss and fly’ and to further encourage sustainable transport choices to and from the airport
- A brand-new fleet of over 30 high quality buses serving airport carparks and airside, reducing journey times and introducing realtime information for passengers for the first time
- Increased seating capacity in popular restaurants including 200 new seats in The Windmill and 100 added to Burger King
- Opening of new and upgraded toilet facilities.
These steps taken by Stansted Airport complement work already underway by the airport’s partner organisations, including the investment by Ryanair in new ground handling operations.